Since we wanted to remain in Yuma for a month, we changed our location to Foothill Village RV park. The place we were first at only allowed a maximum stay of two weeks. The first thing we did upon arriving was looking up doctors and dentists. Marilyn needs to establish a relationship with a local doctor and arrange an exam so she can get a referral for her bimonthly medication. I needed to find a dentist and get some work done.
I was also due for a colonoscopy.
 |
| Waiting for the dentist office to open in Algodones |
 |
| Lunch in Algodones |
We visited Algonones, Mexico just across the border and had a fine time just browsing the shops and fending off the hawkers who wanted to convince us that their dentist, drugs, hats, wallets, jewelery, liquor, eye exams, glasses, contacts, etc were the best and lowest priced. I had a referral from a friend for a good dentist so we went to the office and I got in right away. Afterwards we browsed some more and had lunch in Plaza del Sol. Grilled shrimp as I recall. Poor Marilyn must have caught a bug because for the next two days she was not feeling well so she laid low and slept it off.
With the sun shining nearly all the time, we've had lots of time to spend at the pool and just lay about. We went back to Algodones a couple of days later and finished up my dental work. On the way back to camp we decided to visit the big swap meet in Yuma. Lots of stuff we don't need but we did pick up a few odds and ends that looked useful.
A ham radio buddy was down this way so we visited Sam and wife Betty where they were staying up north of us in the Imperial Dam area.
 |
| Sam WC7Q and me |
On the way to the Imperial Dam area we passed through the Yuma Proving Grounds, an area owned by the US Army where equipment is tested.
 |
| A Sherman tank which saw action in Europe |
 |
| German bullet impacts in the Sherman tank |
 |
| A 16 inch shell used on battleships such as the Missouri or New Jersey |
Shuffleboard anyone?
 |
| Consulting with my partner as we second guess the opponents next move |
 |
| As I carefully push the "stone" down the board, I'm thinking, "I'm not old enough to play this game" |
 |
| Disgustingly relaxed |
 |
| Bathing beauty! Almost 40 years of marriage and I still marvel at her. The magic is still there. |
 |
| I hired these guys to wash and wax the truck and camper |
 |
| They did a good job and I gave them a nice tip |
 |
| Watching the Hawks vs 49ers game |
We decided to visit the historic Yuma Territorial Prison. It was operational from 1876 to 1909.
"Despite an infamous reputation, written evidence indicates that the prison was humanely administered, and was a model institution for its time. The only punishments were the dark cells for inmates who broke prison regulations, and the ball and chain for those who tried to escape."
 |
| This is the only part of the 18 foot thick wall remaining. The rest of the wall was used by Yuma residents to rebuild the city after a massive flood early in the 20th century. |
 |
| The prison yard where inmates exercised |
 |
| Mamabear getting ready to open the cell door for me. I was convicted of grand theft love |
 |
| Convict 1005 is not happy |
 |
| The cell where I'll spend the rest of my life |
 |
| The guard tower |
 |
| I was released on grounds that I had to fix a picnic lunch |
On one of our geocaching trips we had to travel over a bumpy, gravel road to reach Army Air Force #4 airfield. There were many of these remote airfields constructed during WWII for training pilots. Many of them are still identifiable on google maps.
 |
| Checking our coordinates on my smart phone before heading out |
In the photo above, the old runway blacktop is still visible but in bad shape
 |
| Looking west across the runway |
 |
| Bleak, very bleak |
 |
| The flight director in action |
 |
| This cache was a QR code sticker on the No trespassing sign |
 |
| We decided to not go any farther with the car and just hoof it to the coordinates |
 |
| This section of the airfield must still be used because there is a gate and card reader at the entrance |
 |
| OK, OK I get the messaage!! |
 |
| Ready for takeoff! |
There have been some amazing sunsets here.
Here's a 10 second time exposure of the moon at last quarter
So that's the story so far. Next up is Marilyn's Remicaid infusion on the 29th and then after that I have a follow up appointment with the gastro guy with results of the colonoscopy. Then it's on to Organ Pipe National Park.
No comments:
Post a Comment