Sunday, March 16, 2014

Casa Grande AZ

So last time I was telling you a bit about our reasons for this adventure/travel. Another reason is to get a sense of what kind of area we would like to make our next permanent home. We planned on staying here in Casa Grande for a month so Marilyn would have time to establish a doctor who would then schedule her for an infusion. As it turned out, there were no openings for any arthritis specialist in Phoenix. So she had to make an appointment back in Yuma where she last had one. So that means a 2 1/2 trip back to Yuma on the 25th.
But first, on our first evening here, I saw this glorious sunset that gave me hope and comfort. I stood on the top of the camper and patiently waited until the perfect moment arrived. Here's what I saw.

When I posted this on my Facebook timeline I added that there is something almost divine in a sunset like this. It's like the hand of God reaching out to soothe our souls. I still feel that way each time I look at it.
During our first night here it rained cats and dogs. I mean really hard rain. The next morning it was clear and the air felt crisp and fresh.

Anyway, we spent a day in the outer boundaries of Casa Grande looking at properties for sale.  We set the Zillow filter for only double wides with 3 bed, 2 bath on at least a half acre. What we found was many available in nice and not so nice neighborhoods. One was near the small town of Coolidge with 2 acres, a big RV shed and lots of junk in the yard. Not something we'd consider. Since we're here for a month we have lots of time to explore and see what is available.
This resort is pretty active with a number of amenities such as a pool and hot tub, shuffleboards, putting green, games in the evening and so forth. Folks are super friendly and readily answer questions.


On our 40th wedding anniversary on the 8th, we went to an old established family run restaurant here in downtown Casa Grande. The owner himself made room for us even though the place was packed. Marilyn had told him on the phone that this was a special date. The food and atmosphere were perfect.


Steak and lobster for mama and seafood linguini for me

A kissing selfie
When the wife is happy the world is a good place to be

When I'm happy it doesn't matter!

Owner Michael Jackson

We have become quite comfortable living in an RV park with the slow pace of doing what comes our way. Most people are friendly and ready to share their lives on the surface. They like their simple routines. Sometimes fixing something, doing laundry, going to some park activity, a dip in the pool (my favorite) or walking their dogs. And believe me there are lots of dogs with RV'ers. We are not sure this is a place for us at this time in our travels. We have lots of other places to visit before we make a permanent home somewhere.

While in Yuma in January we met the nicest folks and among those were Rex and Joyce Barnes. They had left Yuma before us but they told us they'd be in Casa Grande for March and we were invited to visit them if we got there. So that's what we did. They have a very nice motorhome and were camped in an RV park closer in to to the city.
From the left, Rex, Joyce, sister in law Millie, Rex's brother Lou, and Marilyn


We took a few hours one afternoon and spent it with our church friends from Maltby Congregational Church who have a home near Chandler. Jim and Jill Skog invited us to dinner along with another church friend, George Lee. We had a wonderful time sharing our adventures along with their perspective on living in the desert. They had prepared a great dinner of pork ribs and fixins' which was a real delight. Unfortunately I didn't take and photos. I just plain forgot.

Just like owning a home, an RV requires periodic maintenance. Like any other piece of machinery, things break down and fail. On our second day here, the hot water heater failed. I traced the problem to a bad thermostat. So it was off to a local RV place to buy a new T-stat. I have no experience in fixing this particular piece of equipment. But I'm pretty handy at this sort of thing and I saved $700 fixing it myself.
The sun was really bright, thus the squint
From what we've heard, this park has a new administrator who is very good. She is a younger woman who has a lot of energy and keeps things interesting. For example, on St. Patrick's day, she spearheaded the first annual "golf cart" parade. We've seen a lot of golf carts in these parks where people, especially those who are older and can't get around well, use them to get around quickly. So she had the folks decorate them in green and we had a real parade.

First comes the color guard and we stood up as our flag passed

Next were the cheerleaders
Then the King and Queen in a hot Mustang GT
Followed by rows and rows of the finest virtuosos...oops that was in River City...not here. Golf carts galore!!




Marilyn with her improvised noise maker!!


Earlier I mentioned George Lee. George is a long time member of the Maltby church. In fact, his entire life has been spent in Maltby. He has been coming down here to Arizona for nearly 20 years. He's in his early 90's and still drives each way.

We visited him and he drove us around to some interesting spots. First it was to the Old Dutchman state park where there is a trail with examples of the local flora along with descriptive plaques.

Marilyn and George with the Superstition Mountains in the background
Then we drove a long and winding road deep into the mountains and wound up in Tortilla Flats. This is an old west resting place for those traveling along the dusty trail from Yuma to points north. How those old west wagons and horses made it through the rugged terrain is amazing. But they did. The town has burned down twice but thanks to generous donations from the historical societies and private donors, the town has been rebuilt again and again.
Hmmm....not sure George knew what the background was. hehehe


My brother Steve and wife Leslie live in the Chandler area. He works at the Holiday Inn Ocotillo as the facilities manager. He took time out of his busy day to visit with us on the property.


Among the many activities here is cribbage night. Marilyn and I play it often in the evenings and she usually beats me. So this was a chance to meet new folks and get some time in with 4 handed cribbage which I'd never done before.

Since I'm the chief cook I thought you'd like a pix of me making cookies.....or maybe not.


Well we still have two weeks left here in Casa Grande. Our next destination is Mesa where we'll visit with another couple from Maltby who come down periodically to get some sun during the rainy, chilly, damp and gloomy winters in Bothell.

No comments:

Post a Comment